- Under general supervision, the Cogen/Power Plant Stationary Engineer operates and maintains equipment in both the cogen plant and the power plant for Hoag Hospital and its affiliates (the “Organization”); this equipment includes, but is not limited to, steam boilers, centrifugal chillers, absorption units, flare, primary & emergency electric generators, pumps, compressors, refrigerators and HVAC equipment.
- The Cogen/Power Plant Stationary Engineer will represent the Organization by projecting an image of professionalism in communication, appearance and conduct while supporting the mission of the Plant Operations department for the Organization.
- Participates in the continuous quality improvement process.
- Maintains a working knowledge of Plant Operations standard operating procedures, including the use of specialized instrumentation, Quality Control requirements, and preventative maintenance.
Cogen/Power Plant Stationary Engineer I:
- Accurately and competently operates and adjusts equipment such as cogen engines and associated switchgear, Waste Heat Recovery Units, steam boilers, centrifugal chillers, steam and hot water absorbers, standby generator, emergency electric generators, cooling towers, VFDs, pumps, compressors, supply and exhaust fans, refrigeration and HVAC equipment. Monitors equipment and records readings twice per shift.
- Observes the operation of mechanical devices and determines problems, taking corrective action as necessary. Performs water testing and treatment on boiler, cooling tower, and closed loop systems.
- Records readings and adds chemical as necessary.
- Maintains areas, which include the following in the Power Plant: boiler room, chiller room, pump room and electrical generator building.
- The Cogen Plant areas include: engine room, switchgear room, boiler room, electric chiller room, cooling tower yard, and absorption chiller room.
- Performs housekeeping duties and paints equipment.
- Correctly performs plumbing repairs and installations, including the installation of fixtures and clearing water lines. oPerforms preventative maintenance and minor repairs on Organization equipment
Cogen/Power Plant Stationary Engineer II additional duties...
In addition to the above, the Stationary Engineer II will:
- Overhauls and repairs all plant operations equipment, preparing regular reports as required.
- Inventories and completes forms necessary to ensure supply parts are available.
- Installs equipment, repairing plumbing leaks and blockages.
- Repairs, replaces and installs piping systems.
- Welds and brazes piping.
Education, Training And Experience Required
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Trade, technical or military school training in Plant Operations.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in a plant operations/maintenance position including military service, preferably within an acute healthcare system environment.
- Ability to disassemble and rebuild equipment with minimal supervision.
Skills Or Other Qualifications Required
- Excellent communication skills; customer focused; excellent attention to detail; able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; strong interpersonal skills; able to work in a team environment.
- Knowledgeable in the use of a variety of physical plant equipment, hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of physical plant equipment, operation and repair.
- Knowledge of body mechanics, safety measures and infection control, ability to follow instructions, section specific test information and instrumentation.
- Ability to utilize pipe threader, welder and brazing machinery.
License And Certifications REQUIRED
- Current CA driver's license required for local travel.
- Unlimited Steam Engineer's license from the City of Los Angeles.