SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a Senior Structural Engineer for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Responsible for structural engineering design development and for preparation of structural engineering construction documents
- Solve complex problems in connection with structural engineering segments of large projects
- Directs junior level Structural Engineers in preparation of drawings
- Guides and encourages the development of junior level team members
- Prepares design and construction documents
- Coordinates details and dimensions
- Reviews structural engineering documents for code compliance
- Develops entire structural engineering design concept incorporation planning, architectural, engineering and other required systems
- Oversees the preparation of complete structural engineering documents on major projects
- Reviews structural engineering design documents for compliance with approved program requirements
- Confers with clients, consultants, contractors and others during various stages of project development
- Oversees the preparation of complete structural engineering specification documents
- Selects materials in connection with structural engineering
- Dedicate the necessary time beyond routine hours (as required, including last minute needs) to assist in meeting business commitments
- Other duties as assigned
- Five or more years of experience in design development, structural drafting, and detailing on a wide variety of projects or advanced engineering degree.
- Excellent structural design and drafting skills
- Demonstrated general knowledge of materials, detailing and construction techniques, structural engineering principles and codes
- Completion of a Master’s degree in structural engineering preferred
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed . Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.